- A small stony concretion that may form in the stomachs of certain animals, especially ruminants, and which was once used as an antidote for various ailments.More example sentences
- They induced him to swallow therapeutic potions of oriental bezoar stone from the stomach of a goat and boiled spirits from a human skull.
- An obstruction series or plain abdominal radiographs may be necessary to distinguish obstruction from parasites or bezoars.
- Endoscopy revealed a large gastric bezoar and a 2 x 3 em lower esophageal ulcer that was thought to be the source of bleeding.
late 15th century (in the general sense 'stone or concretion'): from French bezoard, based on Arabic bāzahr, bādizahr, from Persian pādzahr 'antidote'.
More definitions of bezoarDefinition of bezoar in:
- The British & World English dictionary