Entry from British & World English dictionary
- More and more bhais and behens are living in different cities - even continents.
- They called themselves bhagi bhai (rebel brother) and claimed that well dressed people out there in society were the safed daku (white bandit).
- Bimal is acclaimed as one of India's best midfielders, while his younger bhai Birendra is a forward.
1.2 (-bhai) Added to proper names to form an affectionate form of address to an older person: Abdulbhai
More example sentences
- However, the joy of being corrected by his five-year-old whenever he deliberately falters over his bedtime prayers is compensation enough for Altaf bhai.
- Kanu bhai once even made a three-hour movie of Gandhiji.
- Azhar bhai seems to be suing every person who says his name!
From Hindi bhāi, based on Sanskrit bhrātṛ 'brother'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bhai
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.