- The two-hundredth anniversary of a significant event: last year’s commemoration of the bicentennial of Mozart’s birthMore example sentences
- This year is the bicentennial of the birth of Alexis de Tocqueville, one of the most famous political commentators about America.
- Two bicentennials are being celebrated in Saint Louis this year - the Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis and Clark expedition.
- The committee wants something more significant and they want it during this year, the bicentennial of the revolution, an event recognized by the United Nations.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
- Of or relating to a two-hundredth anniversary: the bicentennial celebrationsMore example sentences
- Both are avid Revolutionary War re-enactors, participating in our nation's bicentennial celebration and now the 225th anniversary as well.
- A huge amount of literature exists on the history of the Military Academy, punctuated recently by the appearance of a significant new work whose publication marks that institution's bicentennial celebration.
- It also set a new world record for a non-stop run for steam by hauling a train for 422 miles when it toured Australia, where it played a key role in the country's bicentennial celebrations in 1988 and 1989.
More definitions of bicentennialDefinition of bicentennial in:
- The British & World English dictionary