Definition of biceps in English:
noun (plural same or bicepses-ˌsepsiz-sɛpsēz)
1A muscle having two points of attachment at one end, in particular.
- The articular surfaces and biceps tendon attachment were found to be normal.
- Once thawed, the proximal two-thirds of the radii were harvested along with their distal biceps tendon attachments.
- An instance of the origin of the long tendon of the biceps from the tendon of pectoralis major is described by Koster.
1.1 (also biceps brachiiˈbrākēˌī-kēˌēˈbrak-) The large muscle in the upper arm that turns the hand to face palm uppermost and flexes the arm and forearm: he clenched his fist and exhibited his bulging biceps
More example sentences
- Major flexors include the biceps brachii (which also supinates the forearm when the elbow is flexed), brachioradialis and brachialis muscles.
- There are thirty-two segments devoted to a particular muscle, such as temporalis, masseter, sternocleidomastoid, biceps brachii and so on.
- The tendinitis signs and symptoms can be of the rotator cuff or of the long head of the biceps brachii muscles, or both.
1.2 (also biceps femorisˈfeməris) Anatomy The muscle in the back of the thigh that helps to flex the leg.
- Most muscle strains occur in the lower extremities with the rectus femoris and biceps femoris muscle being most commonly affected; they are followed by the semitendinosus, adductors, vastus medialis and soleus.
- The biceps femoris muscle has been documented as the most commonly injured hamstring muscle, and this study verifies this finding.
- The biceps femoris muscle was involved in 81% of all injuries and was the sole or predominant muscle injured in 72% of injuries.
Mid 17th century: from Latin, literally 'two-headed', from bi- 'two' + -ceps (from caput 'head').
- bicep curlsMore example sentences
- Coming off the treadmill and doing your lunges or squats, bicep or tricep curls would be your active recovery.
- A couple of plastic water bottles can act as dumbbells for a few bicep curls.
- If you were going to do a basic bicep curl with 5 pounds, your body would engage a certain number and type of muscle fibers.
Words that rhyme with bicepstriceps
Definition of biceps in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan