Definition of bichir in English:
An elongated African freshwater fish with an armor of hard shiny scales and a series of separate fins along its back.
- Genus Polypterus, family Polypteridae: several species, including P. senegalus
- Within the Chondrostei, only sturgeons, bichirs and paddlefishes survive today, and many are threatened.
- All palaeoniscoids were extinct by the end of the Mesozoic, leaving only a few distant, primitive relatives alive today - the sturgeons, paddlefish, and bichirs.
- Today lungs are found not only in land vertebrates but also in a few obscure fish lineages, such as gar, bichir, and lungfish.
Definition of bichir in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan