Definition of bigeye in English:
1 (also bigeye tuna) A large migratory tuna that is very important to the commercial fishing industry.
- Thunnus obesus, family Scombridae
- Overfishing I think is a significant component of its being caught by purse seine vessels in their juvenile state, and bigeye tuna and yellowfin tuna in their juvenile state almost look alike.
- Included in the list of species that are being overfished are seafood favorites such as monkfish, Atlantic swordfish, Atlantic bigeye tuna, grouper, Atlantic flounders, Atlantic cod, and red snapper.
- Some 80 to 90 percent of the bluefin, yellowfin and bigeye tuna caught by Taiwanese fishermen is exported to Japan, the largest market for seafood in Asia.
2A reddish, large-eyed fish that lives in moderately deep waters of the tropical Atlantic and the western Indian Ocean. Also called catalufa.
- Priacanthus arenatus, family Priacanthidae
- Bigeye and its relatives are harvested commercially by nets, hook and line, and fish traps; there is some indications that populations are declining.
- By nature, Bigeyes should/would be hiding in some rockwork or other structure to hunt and avoid predators.
- While I was observing a dense mass of postlarval bigeyes circling a night light in the Bahamas, some gray snappers arrived on the scene and began to prey upon the small fish.
Definition of bigeye in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.