Definition of bilberry in English:
noun (plural bilberries)
1A hardy dwarf shrub closely related to the blueberry, with red drooping flowers and dark blue edible berries.
- Genus Vaccinium, family Ericaceae: several species, including the tundra bilberry (V. uliginosum)
- When the weather's fine there's excellent walking on a network of inland tracks that climb past peat-dark lakes through cloudberries, bilberries, saxifrage and reindeer moss, with eagles above and the occasional moose up ahead.
- In the shrub layer are green-leaf manzanita, bog bilberry, western azalea, and leather oak.
- Leeds is to be linked with the bilberry, which grows on many of the moors surrounding the city and neighbouring Bradford.
1.1The small blue edible berry of the bilberry plant.
- The fruit of the bilberry plant is blue-black or purple and differs from the American blueberry in that the meat of the fruit is purple, rather than cream or white.
- Berries - including blueberries, bilberries, strawberries, currants and cherries - contain a group of bioflavonoids known as anthocyanidins, which show specific benefits for the eye.
- The foods with the highest anthocyanin content are those with the darkest blue, purple or red coloring, such as bilberries, black raspberries, black currants, blackberries and blueberries.
Definition of bilberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan