Definition of bilharzia in English:
1A chronic disease, endemic in parts of Africa and South America, caused by infestation with blood flukes (schistosomes). Also called bilharziasis or schistosomiasis.
- The main effects of hunger are apathy and disease - bilharzia, cholera, tuberculosis, HIV-Aids.
- A family history of the disease, or chronic infection with the tropical diseases bilharzia also increase the risk of bladder cancer.
- Some of the most common diseases are malaria, bilharzia, sexually transmitted diseases, tetanus, cholera, polio, and typhoid.
1.1The fluke (schistosome) itself.
- Bilharzia is transmitted by bathing in water infected with bilharzia larvae.
- Bilharzia Fluke and other soil- transmitted worms have affected two million Zambians, the southern African country's health minister said here Monday.
- It seems that the bilharzia fluke hasn't changed much over the centuries, and looking at the older specimens can be of help in fighting the disease/infestation.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, former name of the genus Schistosoma, named after T. Bilharz (1825–62), the German physician who discovered the parasite.
Words that rhyme with bilharziabartsia
Definition of bilharzia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan