noun (plural billets-doux pronunc. same or /-ˈdo͞oz/)• dated or • humorous
- A love letter.More example sentences
- In the last four years alone, no fewer than three auctions have featured billets-doux and other letters written by the Duke of Windsor when he held the titles Prince of Wales and King Edward VIII.
- As she seems easily fooled, why not send yourself sheaves of valentines and other billets-doux?
- And so he returns to the paparazzi and the predictable billets-doux slipped under the door by self-justifying journalists who have hypocrisy tattooed on their foreheads.
late 17th century: French, literally 'sweet note'.
More definitions of billet-douxDefinition of billet-doux in:
- The British & World English dictionary