Definition of billfish in English:
noun (plural same or billfishes)
A large, fast-swimming fish of open seas, with a streamlined body and a long, pointed, spearlike snout. It occurs on the surface in warmer waters and is a popular sporting fish.
- Family Istiophoridae: three genera and several species, including the marlins, sailfish, and spearfishes
- Leave the oceans' bluefin tunas and billfish and sea turtles alone, but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain - as he shovels redfish into the boiler.
- Fish species like tunas, seerfishes, billfishes and mackerels fall in this category.
- The fastest-swimming fish are the billfish and the tunas.
Definition of billfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.