Definition of billfish in English:
noun (plural same or billfishes)
A large, fast-swimming fish of open seas, with a streamlined body and a long, pointed, spearlike snout. It occurs on the surface in warmer waters and is a popular sporting fish.
- Family Istiophoridae: three genera and several species, including the marlins, sailfish, and spearfishes
- Leave the oceans' bluefin tunas and billfish and sea turtles alone, but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain - as he shovels redfish into the boiler.
- Fish species like tunas, seerfishes, billfishes and mackerels fall in this category.
- The fastest-swimming fish are the billfish and the tunas.
Definition of billfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan