Definition of bimetallic in English:
1Made or consisting of two metals.
- Condensation (distilled water) aggressively facilitates other forms of deterioration (e.g., bimetallic corrosion).
- Sheetz and Singer have compared the fact that asymmetric area expansion tends to curve a bilayer with a bimetallic couple (bilayer couple hypothesis).
- Adzic and Mavrikakis suggest that the efficiency boost coupled with the lower cost of a bimetallic compared with a pure platinum cathode points to a commercially viable alternative to current ORR fuel cell design.
1.1 historical Of or relating to bimetallism.
- From the origin of the United States, the currency was in continuing trouble because the United States was on a bimetallic rather than a gold standard, in short a market basket of two commodities, gold and silver.
- The supporters of so-called ‘bimetallism’ were not interested in a workable bimetallic system with a market-responsive ratio.
- Other regimes included: bimetallic standard (gold and silver); unimetallic (gold or silver); gold exchange standard; and post-World War II Bretton Woods.
late 19th century: from French bimétallique, from bi- 'two' + métallique 'metallic'.
Definition of bimetallic in:
- British & World English dictionary