1A thing or person that binds something, in particular.
- An elastic bandage or binder also may be placed across the upper abdomen for patient comfort.
- The fabric includes pairs of binder yarns that bind together the top and bottom layers.
- There the fleece is compressed with the outer layer in a single step, eliminating the need for binders or glue.
1.1A cover for holding loose sheets of paper, magazines, etc., together.
- What covers my binders, folders, notebooks, and textbooks?
- We have so many pretty-colored papers in our binders and folders that we can probably start a mosaic on the school walls!
- At the intersection of the hallways sat a round wooden table with a desk lamp on it, illuminating several blue, hard cover binders filled with multitudes of papers.
1.2A substance that acts cohesively.
- Whereas the aggregate is the filler, the combination of water and cement provide the binder that keeps the material together.
- In situ stabilisation of pavement materials with cementitious binders is a well-recognised method of rehabilitating pavements for local roads and highways.
- Clayey gravel or gravel, and crushed igneous rocks are commonly used as pavement materials, and cementitious binders are the main stabilising agents.
1.3A reaping machine that binds grain into sheaves.
- Others operated the plows, seed drills, binders, and other implements hitched behind the engines and tractors.
- It is fascinating to stand and watch the threshing machine and binder, the stone crusher and the mechanical saw working away.
- Now our log chains, binders, and pins are always right where we need them.
- Upon landing in Europe, Greer said, he found a binder to assemble the book.
- They would receive commissions for particular texts, which they would then subcontract out to scribes, illuminators, and binders, to whom they also supplied materials and tools.
- It is not, therefore, primarily an evaluative discipline except in so far as it may establish an order of excellence for particular printers, scribes or engravers, papermakers, or binders.
Words that rhyme with binderblinder, finder, grinder, kinda, minder, ringbinder, winder
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.