Definition of binturong in English:
A tree-dwelling Asian civet with a coarse blackish coat and a muscular prehensile tail.
- Arctictis binturong, family Viverridae
- Only two members of the carnivore family have prehensile tails - the binturong and the kinkajou.
- For these animals, as well as another 45 moon bears and 14 sun bears, 50 macaques, 30 gibbons, 10 crocodiles, 4 binturongs, and 200 dogs, Banglamung Wildlife Breeding Center is essentially a well-appointed refugee center.
- Their scent glands, located near their tails, are rubbed along branches as they walk or are deliberately rubbed against upright branches to deposit an oily musk as a signal to other binturongs.
Early 19th century: from Malay.
Definition of binturong in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan