Definition of binturong in English:
A tree-dwelling Asian civet with a coarse blackish coat and a muscular prehensile tail.
- Arctictis binturong, family Viverridae
- Only two members of the carnivore family have prehensile tails - the binturong and the kinkajou.
- For these animals, as well as another 45 moon bears and 14 sun bears, 50 macaques, 30 gibbons, 10 crocodiles, 4 binturongs, and 200 dogs, Banglamung Wildlife Breeding Center is essentially a well-appointed refugee center.
- Their scent glands, located near their tails, are rubbed along branches as they walk or are deliberately rubbed against upright branches to deposit an oily musk as a signal to other binturongs.
Early 19th century: from Malay.
Definition of binturong in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.