The proportion of a drug or other substance that enters the circulation when introduced into the body and so is able to have an active effect.
- These effects may profoundly affect the oral bioavailability of drugs.
- Clinicians and patients should beware of possible reductions in systemic bioavailability of conventional drugs when taken concomitantly with St John's wort.
- Systemic bioavailability secondary to lung bioavailability definitely occurs, but the contribution is insignificant.
- Example sentences
- Vancomycin is poorly bioavailable when administered orally, and for systemic infections the intravenous route is used.
- As with other protein products, predigesting proteins facilitate absorption in the gastrointestinal tract, thus making the amino acids more bioavailable.
- It is not surprising that such complex species are not readily bioavailable, and are therefore not toxic.
Definition of bioavailability in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.