Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of biolistics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
A technique in genetic engineering in which tiny metal pellets coated with DNA are propelled into living cells at high velocities.
- Over-expression of introduced genes is a problem with some methods, such as biolistics, which is shooting gene preparations into plant tissue with tiny projectiles.
- Previous reports have shown that biolistics can be used to transfer genes to chickens in ovo.
- It makes use of biolistics technology, where tiny particles are injected through cell walls by a high-powered gun.
- 1biolistic adjective
- Example sentences
- The strain was transformed using biolistic techniques.
- Leaves of pepper, potato, tomato, Arabidopsis, and maize were subjected to biolistic transient transformation with various DNA constructs and were subsequently histochemically stained to visualize GUS activity.
- Particle coating and bombardment conditions were carried out basically as described previously, with a biolistic helium gun device.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.