The search for plant and animal species from which medicinal drugs and other commercially valuable compounds can be obtained.
- Many pharmaceutical companies are currently engaged in bioprospecting, which consists of testing plant species for potentially useful compounds, sometimes signing agreements with national governments for permission.
- While traditional communities worldwide struggle to catch up with the implications of bioprospecting and biopiracy, technological advances are further removing them from the equation.
- Most people believe that bioprospecting is limited to pharmaceuticals, but it isn't.
- Example sentences
- Today bioprospectors working for biotech firms, pharmaceutical and agribusiness giants are off to the far corners of the earth hoping to come back with the goods.
- Critics contend, however, that in negotiations between bioprospectors and local people - especially indigenous groups the playing field is far from level.
- There were bioprospectors among us in Kamchatka.
1990s: from bio(diversity) prospecting.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of bioprospecting in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.