noun (plural biopsies)
- An examination of tissue removed from a living body to discover the presence, cause, or extent of a disease.More example sentences
- Microscopic examination of the gastric biopsies revealed the presence of cellular infiltrate in the mucosa and submucosa.
- Ultrasound examination and core biopsies confirm the diagnosis.
- In these cases, mistakes frequently are made during examination of endoscopic biopsies.
late 19th century: coined in French from Greek bios 'life' + opsis 'sight', on the pattern of necropsy.
More definitions of biopsyDefinition of biopsy in:
- The British & World English dictionary