Definition of bird's-eye in English:
1 [usually as modifier] Any of a number of plants with small flowers that have contrasting petals and centers, in particular.
- ● (also bird’s-eye primrose) A primrose with yellow-centered purple flowers (Primula farinosa, family Primulaceae). ● (also bird’s-eye speedwell) A speedwell with bright blue flowers, also known as germander speedwell.
- Bird's-eye primrose is a diminutive plant.
- Bird's-eye primrose has pink or lilac flowers and dusty looking leaves.
- Bird's-eye refers to the color pattern of the flowers.
2 (also bird's-eye chili or bird's-eye pepper) A small, very hot chili pepper.
- If you prefer your salsa hot, opt for the small bird's-eye, or even the eye-watering Scotch bonnet chillies.
- Bird chillies (cabai burung in Malaysia) are also called bird's-eye chillies because they are as small, vivid, and sharp as the eye of a bird.
- Believed to be one of the hottest peppers available, Tepin is a perennial wild, birds eye pepper of unique flavour.
3A small geometric pattern woven with a dot in the center, typically used in suiting and lining fabrics.
- This is a so called four-course repeat structure, which will produce a birds-eye-backed fabric.
- Again a further birds-eye-backed fabric is produced in which the yarn knitting on courses 9 and 11 is of the same colour as that knitted on courses 1,3,5 and 7.
- A simple pattern of stripes, interspersed with rows of bird's eye pattern make an interesting design.
Definition of bird's-eye in:
- British & World English dictionary