- 1A particular right of possession or privilege one has from birth, especially as an eldest child.More example sentences
- Being the good brother he is, Jacob offers Esau some lentil soup - on one condition: Esau has to forgo his birthright and inheritance as eldest son.
- The birthright is the prerogative of the eldest son.
- For the one got possession of the birthright, and the other transferred the wealth of the Egyptians to the host of the Israelites.
- 1.1A natural or moral right, possessed by everyone: she saw a liberal education as the birthright of every childMore example sentences
- Which will leave hundreds of thousands of football fans deprived of their natural birthright: when in doubt, blame the ref.
- It is by now, they feel, a simple birthright, as natural as the air they breathe.
- Winning national championships is not their birthright, and everyone's going to survive if Duke were to somehow have a few back-to-back 15-loss seasons.