- A climbing or herbaceous plant that typically has heart-shaped leaves and deep-throated, often pipe-shaped, flowers. It was formerly used as an aid to childbirth and to induce abortion.
More example sentences
- Genus Aristolochia, family Aristolochiaceae
- The three groups of paleoherbs are Aristolochiales (birthwort, Dutchman's pipe), Piperales (pepper vine, lizard's tails), and Nymphaeales (lotus, waterlilies).
- The female common birdwing lays single eggs, which she attaches to the surface of the Indian birthwort leaves.
- Many of the plant relicts are members of old families: heathers, orchids, honeysuckles, birthworts, and lillies.
More definitions of birthwortDefinition of birthwort in:
- The British & World English dictionary