A rich, creamy soup typically made with shellfish, especially lobster.
- Scallops come with a rich, foaming lobster bisque.
- With eyes bigger than our bellies we move on to lobster and prawn bisque, rich with cream and brandy, mopped up with home-made bread and washed down with a crisp, white Sauvignon.
- Allow the food to dispel your chills - the thick, soothing lobster bisque, the aromatic fennel soup, or a terrine of foie gras that glides down your throat like velvet across a smooth back.
Mid 17th century: French, literally 'crayfish soup'.
Words that rhyme with bisquebrisk, disc, disk, fisc, frisk, risk, whisk
An extra turn, point, or stroke allowed to a weaker player in croquet or court tennis.
- To our mind, there is a far better handicap than any of these, viz., the bisque.
- We need to get near one ball, take the first bisque to hit it and croquet it to a useful position whilst getting within hitting distance of another.
- To take a bisque judiciously requires a cool head and great familiarity with tennis.
Mid 17th century (originally a term in court tennis): from French, of unknown ultimate origin.
1Fired unglazed pottery: using bisque for doll heads [as modifier]: bisque figurines
More example sentences
- After bisque firing to cone 06, students use underglazes to color their planters.
- After the bisque firing, I painted liquid iron oxide on them and washed it off with a sponge (rubber gloves are a must!) leaving black in all of the designs.
- Allowed to dry overnight, the ‘slip-disks’ are flipped over and removed from the bats and ready for bisque firing.
2A light brown color: shades of bisque, taupe, and chocolate brown
More example sentences
- The ribbon of bisque light passed on his eyes, showing in their eerie blackness a strange, demented enjoyment.
- It is available with a choice of white or bisque for color.
- This jetted tub is also available in bisque.
adjectiveBack to top
Light brown in color.
- For the bisque tones use Amber Clay, Bisque, Creamy Brown, Yellow Ochre, Alabaster and Burnt Sienna Fluid Chalk inks.
- Well, we now have a bisque refrigerator, a bisque stove and a bisque dishwasher.
- Choose the simplicity of all black; add accents in Nickel, Brass & Copper for a more dramatic statement;or add white or bisque panels.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.