A rich, creamy soup typically made with shellfish, especially lobster.
- Scallops come with a rich, foaming lobster bisque.
- With eyes bigger than our bellies we move on to lobster and prawn bisque, rich with cream and brandy, mopped up with home-made bread and washed down with a crisp, white Sauvignon.
- Allow the food to dispel your chills - the thick, soothing lobster bisque, the aromatic fennel soup, or a terrine of foie gras that glides down your throat like velvet across a smooth back.
Mid 17th century: French, literally 'crayfish soup'.
Words that rhyme with bisquebrisk, disc, disk, fisc, frisk, risk, whisk
An extra turn, point, or stroke allowed to a weaker player in croquet or court tennis.
- To our mind, there is a far better handicap than any of these, viz., the bisque.
- We need to get near one ball, take the first bisque to hit it and croquet it to a useful position whilst getting within hitting distance of another.
- To take a bisque judiciously requires a cool head and great familiarity with tennis.
Mid 17th century (originally a term in court tennis): from French, of unknown ultimate origin.
1Fired unglazed pottery: using bisque for doll heads [as modifier]: bisque figurines
More example sentences
- After bisque firing to cone 06, students use underglazes to color their planters.
- After the bisque firing, I painted liquid iron oxide on them and washed it off with a sponge (rubber gloves are a must!) leaving black in all of the designs.
- Allowed to dry overnight, the ‘slip-disks’ are flipped over and removed from the bats and ready for bisque firing.
2A light brown color: shades of bisque, taupe, and chocolate brown
More example sentences
- The ribbon of bisque light passed on his eyes, showing in their eerie blackness a strange, demented enjoyment.
- It is available with a choice of white or bisque for color.
- This jetted tub is also available in bisque.
adjectiveBack to top
Light brown in color.
- For the bisque tones use Amber Clay, Bisque, Creamy Brown, Yellow Ochre, Alabaster and Burnt Sienna Fluid Chalk inks.
- Well, we now have a bisque refrigerator, a bisque stove and a bisque dishwasher.
- Choose the simplicity of all black; add accents in Nickel, Brass & Copper for a more dramatic statement;or add white or bisque panels.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan