Definition of bister in English:
1A brownish-yellowish pigment made from the soot of burned wood.
- It is a drawing in bister and reed pen on paper with no watermark.
- De los Reyes has created new bister on paper works, stainless steel sculptures and exquisite monochromatic paintings in this exciting follow-up to his critically acclaimed 2005 exhibition.
- The color of bistre varies with the wood from which the soot was derived, but in general it has a warm, transparent brown tone.
1.1The color of the pigment bister.
- Conté sticks and pencils are available in a wide range of colours including the traditional black, white, sepia, bistre and sanguine.
- The colors on French colonial stamps are often brilliant and in unusual combinations: fuchsia and turquoise, blue and orange, purple and bistre.
- By little and little, the surface of the plate takes a yellow tint, which darkens more and more, approaching to bistre.
early 18th century: from French bistre, of unknown origin.
Definition of bister in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan