Definition of bitter melon in English:
1A warty, green-colored, unripe fruit of an annual tropical vine, used in Asian cooking and for its medicinal properties. Also called bitter gourd.
- Or substitute bitter melon juice, found in Asian groceries.
- Twenty-five diabetes patients were treated at the Canton College of Traditional Chinese Medicine with dried bitter melon slices; 250g dried bitter melon slices boiled in water each day.
- In, on occasion, went something fresh, and therefore flagrantly illegal: a bumpy, bright green bitter melon, or bay leaves from my uncle's garden.
1.1The widespread plant of the gourd family that produces this fruit.
- Bitter melon grows in tropical areas, including parts of East Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and South America.
- Grow bitter melon as you would grow cantaloupe or honeydew melons.
- Bitter melon is an annual plant growing to 2 m tall.
- Momordica charantia, family Cucurbitaceae
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan