- A plant of the purslane family with showy pinkish-white flowers on short stems. Found throughout the rocky areas of western North America, it is particularly abundant in Montana, of which it is the state flower.
More example sentences
- Lewisia rediviva, family Portulacaceae
- My state flower is the bitterroot and my state bird is the western meadowlark.
- During the summer, the Nez Percé gathered a wide variety of plants, including wild onions and carrots, bitterroots, blackberries, strawberries, huckleberries, and nuts.
- Lately his slumber had been disturbed by dreams of yellow roses and pink heather, bachelor's-buttons and bitterroot and salmon poppies and moss rose and blue flax and red tulips and yellow water lilies.