Definition of bivalent in English:
1 Biology (Of homologous chromosomes) associated in pairs.
- If chromosomes 1 and 2 are genetically more identical, as are chromosomes 3 and 4, there are three different combinations for the bivalent chromosome pairing.
- Note that the bivalent sex chromosome remaining in the vicinity of the equator appears to be oriented to the poles.
- Because only homologous chromosomes pair, allopolyploids strictly exhibit bivalent formation (two chromosomes pair) at meiosis and undergo disomic inheritance for each locus.
2 Chemistry another term for divalent.
- The surface of BR is bound with bivalent metal cations, charge amino acids and polar phospholipids to form an asymmetrical distribution of charges on the membrane surface.
- The bivalent cations were slightly increased as well as chloride and phosphate.
- It causes the cell wall to become rigid by blocking free carboxyl groups that interact with bivalent ions like Ca 2 +.
nounBack to top
A pair of homologous chromosomes.
- However, no investigation has been made into whether homologous chromosome pairs or bivalents with altered patterns of recombination events may also be at increased risk for nondisjunction in mammals other than humans.
- On average, each double-crossover bivalent produces one double-crossover chromosome (of four) in the absence of chromatid interference.
- True non-disjunction as a mechanism causing aneuploidy was separately assessed when a bivalent was found in a set of metaphase II chromosomes.
Definition of bivalent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.