- A medium-sized forest-dwelling bear with blackish fur and a paler face, found in North America and eastern Asia.
More example sentences
- Two species, family Ursidae: the American black bear (Ursus americanus), with a wide range of coat color, and the smaller Asian black bear (Selenarctos thibetanus)
- Stop along this byway to hike across broad plateaus and to admire Rocky Mountain goats, moose, black bears, grizzly bears, marmots, and mule deer.
- By contrast, North American black bears and grizzly bears diverged about five million years ago, he says.
- This still largely uncharted region of the world is home to Asian elephants, leopards, Himalayan black bears, wild boars, and the sambar deer, a delicacy for wide-ranging tigers.
More definitions of black bearDefinition of black bear in:
- The British & World English dictionary