- 1A large North American cherry tree that yields valuable close-grained hard wood.
More example sentences
- Prunus serotina, family Rosaceae
- Sugar maples commonly share the forest with ironwood, beech, basswood, white ash, black cherry, yellow birch, white pine, and red oak.
- The subcanopy also contains a scattering of hawthorn, black cherry, white pine, and eastern hemlock.
- Pin cherry (P. pensylvanica), black cherry (P. serotina), and chokecherry (P. virginiana) are some of the best trees for attracting birds.
- 1.1The bitter blackish fruit of the black cherry tree, sometimes used for jellies and regularly eaten by wild birds and animals.More example sentences
- We then hummed along more pastoral roads, stopping at a roadstand to buy kilos of juicy black cherries fresh from the trees, and apples and honey and newly-baked apple cake.
- This sounds simple enough but the deeper flavours of the black cherries married magically with the creamy mess and light brioche bread.
- There is foie gras grilled with black cherries and in a preparation flavoured with Chinese 10 spice.