Definition of black cherry in English:
1A large North American cherry tree that yields valuable close-grained hard wood.
- Prunus serotina, family Rosaceae
- Sugar maples commonly share the forest with ironwood, beech, basswood, white ash, black cherry, yellow birch, white pine, and red oak.
- The subcanopy also contains a scattering of hawthorn, black cherry, white pine, and eastern hemlock.
- Pin cherry (P. pensylvanica), black cherry (P. serotina), and chokecherry (P. virginiana) are some of the best trees for attracting birds.
1.1The bitter blackish fruit of the black cherry tree, sometimes used for jellies and regularly eaten by wild birds and animals.
- We then hummed along more pastoral roads, stopping at a roadstand to buy kilos of juicy black cherries fresh from the trees, and apples and honey and newly-baked apple cake.
- This sounds simple enough but the deeper flavours of the black cherries married magically with the creamy mess and light brioche bread.
- There is foie gras grilled with black cherries and in a preparation flavoured with Chinese 10 spice.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.