- 1A small round edible black berry that grows in loose hanging clusters.More example sentences
- There were stalls piled with pyramids of different coloured berries - deep purple blackcurrants, scarlet strawberries, pink lingonberries and bright orange slushy cloudberries.
- My mum used to make the world's best ever blackcurrant pie - she made home grown blackcurrants into a pie that I could polish off on my own over several evenings.
- Others, such as cooking apples, raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries, have more pectin and set without any help.
- 2The shrub that produces black currants.
More example sentences
- Genus Ribes, family Grossulariaceae: several species, in particular the widely cultivated Ribes nigrum
- In the fruit garden, blackcurrants that weren't pruned in the summer can be cut back by a third.
- The soft fruit bed looks fantastic this year, with raspberries and strawberries both covered in flowers, the blackcurrants heavy with fruit and the gooseberries almost sawfly free.