1A small round edible black berry that grows in loose hanging clusters.
- There were stalls piled with pyramids of different coloured berries - deep purple blackcurrants, scarlet strawberries, pink lingonberries and bright orange slushy cloudberries.
- My mum used to make the world's best ever blackcurrant pie - she made home grown blackcurrants into a pie that I could polish off on my own over several evenings.
- Others, such as cooking apples, raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries, have more pectin and set without any help.
2The shrub that produces black currants.
- Genus Ribes, family Grossulariaceae: several species, in particular the widely cultivated Ribes nigrum.
- In the fruit garden, blackcurrants that weren't pruned in the summer can be cut back by a third.
- The soft fruit bed looks fantastic this year, with raspberries and strawberries both covered in flowers, the blackcurrants heavy with fruit and the gooseberries almost sawfly free.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: black cur·rant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.