- An early, ornate, bold style of type, typically resembling Gothic.More example sentences
- I wallowed in bindings and leathers and fonts, in all the lovely jargon of the trade, half-titles, colophons, blind stamping, foxing, black letter, washed leaves and cancels.
- So you want p.o.M. in black letter, outlined in red?
- The first, in black letter, reads: ‘Hic Adam operatur terram in sudore vultus sui’ (Here Adam with sweat on his brow delves the earth).
More definitions of black letterDefinition of black letter in:
- The British & World English dictionary