Definition of black rat in English:
A rat with dark fur, large ears, and a long tail. It is found throughout the world, being particularly common in the tropics, and is the chief host of the plague-transmitting flea. Also called roof rat.
- Rattus rattus, family Muridae
- The plague likely spread to Europe on the backs of shipboard black rats that carried plague-infested fleas.
- The reptile house will become the mouse house, home to all kinds of rodents including black rats.
- The small animals we call rats come in two types, the black rat and the Norway rat, and they have lived with man throughout history.
Definition of black rat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.