Definition of blackbird in English:
1A European thrush with mainly black plumage.
- Genus Turdus, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae: four species, in particular T. merula, the male of which has all-black plumage and a yellow bill
- If no berries remain, having been stripped earlier by blackbirds and mistle thrushes, they perish.
- The thicker scrub and thickets of elder, hawthorn and bramble, meanwhile, provide ideal cover for nesting robins, wrens, sparrows, dunnocks, blackbirds and thrushes.
- The ubiquitous starling is one of the most widespread problem species but blackbirds, partridges, robins, sparrows, thrushes, and finches are also common.
2An American bird with a strong pointed bill. The male has black plumage that is iridescent or has patches of red or yellow.
- Family Icteridae: several genera and species, including the abundant red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)
- Unlike dowdy, brown females of the species, male blackbirds possess bright yellow-to-orange beaks and shiny black plumage.
- I pulled over at Schaar's Bluff, turned off my car and just sat and listened, beyond the bluebirds and meadowlarks you could hear tree sparrows and red-winged blackbirds.
- I went down towards the creek and found a huge flock of robins, grackles and red-winged blackbirds foraging.
Words that rhyme with blackbirdyardbird • cage bird
Definition of blackbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.