Definition of blackbird in English:
1A European thrush with mainly black plumage.
- Genus Turdus, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae: four species, in particular T. merula, the male of which has all-black plumage and a yellow bill
- If no berries remain, having been stripped earlier by blackbirds and mistle thrushes, they perish.
- The thicker scrub and thickets of elder, hawthorn and bramble, meanwhile, provide ideal cover for nesting robins, wrens, sparrows, dunnocks, blackbirds and thrushes.
- The ubiquitous starling is one of the most widespread problem species but blackbirds, partridges, robins, sparrows, thrushes, and finches are also common.
2An American bird with a strong pointed bill. The male has black plumage that is iridescent or has patches of red or yellow.
- Family Icteridae: several genera and species, including the abundant red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)
- Unlike dowdy, brown females of the species, male blackbirds possess bright yellow-to-orange beaks and shiny black plumage.
- I pulled over at Schaar's Bluff, turned off my car and just sat and listened, beyond the bluebirds and meadowlarks you could hear tree sparrows and red-winged blackbirds.
- I went down towards the creek and found a huge flock of robins, grackles and red-winged blackbirds foraging.
Words that rhyme with blackbirdyardbird • cage bird
Definition of blackbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan