Definition of blackhead in English:
1A plug of sebum in a hair follicle, darkened by oxidation.
- These pimples vary according to the severity of the acne and range from whiteheads, blackheads, pustules and nodules to cysts.
- Like benzoyl peroxide, sulfur keeps bacteria in check and works wonders on whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.
- Acne is the blanket term used for skin irritations, including blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and the deeper cysts that may form on your shoulders, neck, face or other areas.
2An infectious disease of turkeys producing discoloration of the head, caused by a protozoan.
- Turkey farmers in the UK are in a panic over blackhead disease, fearing an outbreak among their flocks after the drug they used to rely on was banned.
- Turkeys at two Dutch farms were diagnosed with parasite-borne blackhead, but the government was not very concerned because about 10 cases of the disease are reported each year.
- Ten million turkeys being reared for the festive period are at risk from blackhead, a parasitic liver disease which causes birds to waste away.
Definition of blackhead in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.