Definition of blackleg in English:
1Any of a number of plant diseases in which part of the stem blackens and decays, in particular.
- ● A fungal disease of cabbages and related plants (caused by Leptosphaeria, Pleospora, and other genera). ● A bacterial disease of potatoes (caused by Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica).
- This will ensure that any future overcoming of resistance does not result in the complete collapse of the cultivar from blackleg disease as now occurs in some field situations.
- The models revealed telling facts about the spread of anthracnose, blackleg and black spot.
- Although numerous studies suggest that seedling and adult blackleg resistances are under different genetic controls, many authors have observed a significant correlation between the two.
2An acute infectious bacterial disease of cattle and sheep, causing necrosis in one or more legs.
- This disease is caused by Clostridium chauvoei
- Such other clostridials include black disease, blackleg, braxy, bacterial redwater and tetanus.
- The researcher said cases of blackleg often increased when animals moved to new pastures.
- The clinical signs of botulism in cattle are caused by the toxin produced by a bacteria, which is in the same group that causes such familiar diseases as tetanus and blackleg.
3British derogatory A strikebreaker.
[The reason for the name remains unknown]
- In response to his letter, I wholeheartedly disagree with his comments about ‘scabs’, ‘non-strikers’ and ‘blacklegs’.
- There was no violence directed against the many blacklegs who drove buses and engaged in other strike-breaking activities.
- The marital crisis coincides with a miners' strike in which the men are forced to live off a pittance while blacklegs take over their jobs.
Words that rhyme with blacklegfilibeg • peg-leg • dogleg
Definition of blackleg in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.