Definition of blank check in English:
1A bank check with the amount left for the payee to fill in.
- He testified that he signed blank cheques, the details of which would be filled in later.
- She had a signed blank cheque of mine and I told her the exact amount to fill in.
- We should pay our fair share, but not give a blank cheque for others to fill in and sign.
1.1 [in singular] An unlimited freedom of action: he was effectively granted a blank check to conduct a war without congressional authorization
More example sentences
- Giving federal law enforcement agencies access to the almost unlimited collection apparatus of our intelligence organizations is granting a blank check to the federal government.
- In 1964, President Lyndon Johnson strong-armed Congress into giving him a blank check for conducting the Vietnam War.
- The Supreme Court, however, did not grant employees a blank check.
Definition of blank check in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan