- An edible wild mushroom of Europe and North America, with a pale buff or lilac cap and a lilac stem.
More example sentences
- Genus Lepista, family Tricholomataceae, class Basidiomycetes: several species, including common blewit (L. saeva) and wood blewit (L. nuda)
- Thus the blewit, cep, and even the common field mushroom have harmful relations.
- Forager charges fairly hefty prices for its wares: a flat rate of £15 per kilogram box, whether it be full of grey field blewit mushrooms, or a spicy and piquant selection of wood sorrel, wild chervil and dandelion leaves.
- It's just the tail end of the edible fungi season and Helen goes foraging with local hotelier Eric Hart looking for ceps, puffballs, winter chanterelles (known as yellowlegs), and blewits with their distinctive scent of Parma violets.
early 19th century: probably from blue1.
More definitions of blewitDefinition of blewit in:
- The British & World English dictionary