nounNorth American • informal
- An illegal bar.More example sentences
- And it planted new trees and grass to provide picturesque views to take the place of the smoky, smelly interior of a blind tiger - views in the Romantic idiom that idealized nature as a setting for polite middle class social interaction.
- While there is no question that corrupt policemen protected tenderloin brothels, ‘blind pigs,’ and gambling dens, the police took their lead from judges as well as ring politicians.
- In 1864, the owner of a blind pig in Manchester, New Hampshire brought a suit to recover money damages for the destruction of his bar.
mid 19th century: probably so named because in order to evade prohibition laws, the bars were disguised as exhibition halls for natural curiosities.
More definitions of blind tigerDefinition of blind tiger in:
- The British & World English dictionary