Definition of bloodroot in English:
1A North American plant of the poppy family that has white flowers and fleshy underground rhizomes that exude red sap when cut.
- Sanguinaria canadensis, family Papaveraceae
- The bloodroots flower near her feet as delicate as bible leaves, and slow, persistent ivy kindles on old trees.
- The area was called Bloodroot Valley because of the profusion of bloodroot flowers that blanketed the valley in the early spring.
- Harvest herb roots including bloodroot, chicory, ginseng, and golden seal in the fall, after the foliage fades.
Definition of bloodroot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.