Definition of bloodworm in English:
1The bright red aquatic larva of a nonbiting midge, the blood of which contains hemoglobin that allows it to live in poorly oxygenated water.
- Genus Chironomus, family Chironomidae
- We get everything from herbivorous reptiles to aquatic animals that eat bloodworms.
- You'll need to check to see if bloodworm is allowed as it is banned on some venues.
- With a few truly bizarre exceptions (such as the chironomid bloodworms that breed in sewage), insects don't even have hemoglobin.
Words that rhyme with bloodwormlugworm • lungworm
Definition of bloodworm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan