- I then unbuttoned my sleeve buttons to the blouse and let that drop to the floor.
- Christine undid the top three buttons of her blouse, pulling her collar back to reveal the nape of her neck, and looked at Bill expectantly.
- In the context of an interview with mainstream corporate America, it's best to cover your tattoos and piercings with long-sleeved shirts, blouses, collars, and such.
- A short black skirt and white peasant blouse with loose, belled sleeves and low neckline soon followed.
- She favors nice but functional clothing in browns and creams - usually long skirts, peasant blouses and a bodice with a belt that holds several pouches.
- It was no longer the cotton skirt and peasant blouse she had been wearing.
- The comparatively new uniform features jacket and blouse, and a trilby-style hat.
- Their uniform included a huge floppy beret, a short blouse, and putties.
- Holly just smirked and slashed the blouse of the soldier's uniform and laughed.
- If it's really hot they can go around without blousing their boots.
- Only a little more blousing of the shirt above the waistband is required to complete the concealment.
Early 19th century (denoting a belted loose garment worn by peasants): from French, of unknown origin.
Women did not originally wear blouses. When it first appeared in English the word referred to the blue blouse traditionally worn by French workmen, although where the French got the word from is not known. In the course of the 19th century the word began to apply to various smocks and tunics worn by English farm labourers, and in 1870 came the first reference to a blouse ‘for a young lady’. Testimony to the fact that it is now fundamentally a female garment comes in a big girl's blouse. In Britain this is an insult for a man regarded as weak, cowardly, or oversensitive.
Words that rhyme with blousearouse, browse, carouse, Cowes, dowse, drowse, espouse, house, Howes, rouse
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of blouse in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.