1The nostril of a whale or dolphin on the top of its head.
- While the rest of us stood agog as the spray from the whales' blowholes misted over the deck, three divers managed to slip into the water.
- A calf will hump up onto the back of the sleeping mother, breach onto her, cover her blowhole with his tail.
- When they dive, muscles close the blowhole and their ribcage collapses to keep air bubbles from forming in the bloodstream.
1.1A hole in ice to which seals, whales, and other aquatic animals come to breathe.
- Soon you come across a blowhole forming a vertical shaft 1.5m in diameter that leads to the surface.
- Polar bears will stand or lie by the seals blowhole in the ice for hours; they may swim towards seals resting on the ice flows with only their nose showing above the water.
- A burly man raises a stick with a hook on the end to strike a baby seal as it surfaces from a blowhole in the ice.
1.2A vent for air or smoke in a tunnel or other structure.
- It has blowholes and lava tubes, the wettest spot on earth, and the nation's only royal palace.
- This can probably be attributed to the top blowhole wicking away the rising hot air.
- Tunnels and Caves is another popular site, starting and finishing through a blowhole that leads to an underwater playground of caves and tunnels, where bubbles escape through volcanic fissures.
1.3A cavity in a metal casting, produced by the escape of air through the liquid metal.
- The invention provides an apparatus and a method for reducing the volume of risers, and for the possibility of reducing shrinkage, blowhole and porosity in shaped gravity casting.
- A third fault or defect type is blowhole formation due to air and gas inclusions, which arise during casting, but mainly in the phase just before the end of casting.
- Producers of iron castings sometimes are confronted by a rash of blowhole or pinhole defects that take time and money to correct.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of blowhole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.