- A North American spruce with sharp, stiff blue-green needles, growing wild in the central Rocky Mountains. Its many cultivated varieties tend to be bluer in color than the wild ones. Also called Colorado blue spruce, Colorado spruce.
More example sentences
- Picea pungens, family Pinaceae
- To keep the whole works from appearing too somber, a few silver highlights are spotted about, such as dwarf blue spruce and lamb's ears.
- He planted hundreds of them - white pines, blue spruces, oaks, maples, willows, birches, cherry trees, apple trees, pear trees and others, and he planted rhododendrons, mountain laurels and other flowering shrubs.
- A rather frequent example of such an occurrence is that single big blue spruce growing in the middle of a small front lawn and fairly shouting at every passerby.