A migratory, mottled bluish-gray rorqual, found in all oceans of the world. Known to grow as long as 110 feet (33 m) and weigh as much as 150 tons (136,000 kg), it is the largest animal ever to inhabit the earth.
- Balaenoptera musculus, family Balaenopteridae
More example sentences
- Francois (the DJ who is on in the morning) pointed out that the baby blue whale was twenty five feet long and weighed six to eight tons when it was born, and he said that the baby whale drank about 200 gals. of milk daily!
- A one-second old baby blue whale is much bigger than a one-second old human being, but they are the same age.
- But there are still question marks over the future of populations of other species, including blue whales and bowhead whales, both hunted to the verge of extinction.
Definition of blue whale in:
- The British & World English dictionary