Definition of bluebell in English:
1 (also English bluebell) A widely cultivated European woodland plant of the lily family that produces clusters of bell-shaped blue flowers in spring.
- Hyacinthoides (or Endymion) nonscripta, family Liliaceae
- Daffodils, wild hyacinths and tulips, snowdrops, bluebells, daisies and buttercups littered the earth.
- The gardens are bounded by rhododendrons as well as azaleas, while in the woodlands there are snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils and narcissi.
- Autumn is the time to put in bulbs for early spring including snow-drops, daffodils, crocuses, lilies and bluebells.
2Any of a number of other plants with blue bell-shaped flowers, in particular.
- ● another term for bellflower ● chiefly Scottish term for harebell ● another term for squill and other scillas ● short for Virginia bluebell ● A plant of the bellflower family (genus Wahlenbergia, family Campanulaceae), distributed mostly in the southern hemisphere, e.g., the Australian bluebell (W. gloriosa).
- In amongst the shrubs and trees are many more delights both indigenous and exotic, in the form of plants such as Spanish bluebells and South African gazanias.
- Spanish bluebell is a good bet everywhere except the intermediate and low deserts.
- This comes from the Spanish bluebell which can be purchased in some garden centres.
Words that rhyme with bluebellcowbell • Annabel
Definition of bluebell in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan