1A common blowfly with a metallic-blue body, the female of which often comes into houses searching for a suitable food source on which to lay her eggs.
- Calliphora vomitoria, family Calliphoridae
- Blowflies, such as greenbottles and bluebottles, are attracted to your rabbit and its housing by the presence of faeces, urine, rotting vegetables and open wounds.
- Would we do the same for baby rats, or baby cockroaches or baby bluebottles?
- My kitchen window is at the back of the house and if I leave it open the house is filled with brown flies - they are not the normal bluebottles but flies which feed on sewage.
2The wild cornflower.
- As a bonus, here are some wildflowers growing next to a field. The red one is a poppy, and the blue ones are cornflowers or bluebottles.
- But this place being open was full of flowers, such lovely azure cornflowers which the people call bluebottles.
Definition of bluebottle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.