- A coarse North American prairie grass with bluish leaf sheaths, often cultivated as forage.
More example sentences
- Genus Andropogon, family Gramineae
- On the ground are dry-prairie plants, which include wire grass, little bluestem, and Florida paintbrush.
- In Missouri, some glades do resemble prairies, with plants that include big and little bluestem, Indian grass, Indian paintbrush, prairie larkspur, purple coneflower, and blazing stars.
- Species identification of archaeological specimens is not secure, but big bluestem and switch grass would have been common constituents of mesic bottomland prairies of the American Bottom.