Definition of bluestone in English:
1Any of various bluish or gray building stones.
- Sullivan leveled the top of the slope and installed a lawn, then built stairs of 3-inch-thick, randomly cut chunks of Connecticut bluestone on the base rock.
- Adjacent to the lower pool, Sargent placed a patio paved with Connecticut bluestone.
- A winding path of bluestone connects the house to the pool and a new patio.
1.1Any of the smaller stones made of dolerite found in the inner part of Stonehenge.
- The Preseli Hills, source of the Stonehenge bluestones, lie within one of the highly radiogenic areas in which the ‘Boscombe Bowmen’ were born.
- The first such structure comprised two concentric circles of bluestones imported from southwest Wales set up around 2500 bc.
- Several bluestones in the central oval were removed so that the remaining eleven formed a horseshoe imitating the trilithon setting.
Definition of bluestone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia