Definition of blunt instrument in English:
1A heavy object without a sharp edge or point, used as a weapon.
- In this study, a serious incident is defined as violence or threat of violence with weapons used such as shotguns, knives, blunt instruments, syringes, screwdrivers, hammers, furniture, eg, chairs.
- These techniques involve removal, repair of replacement of a diseased or damaged organ and make use of sharp or blunt instruments.
- A bottle was a blunt instrument, then a sharp one.
1.1An imprecise or heavy-handed way of doing something: as a promotional method, direct mail has been a blunt instrument
More example sentences
- Used in this way, representational painting is a somewhat blunt instrument to wield in a complex debate already full of visceral and hysterical reactions on both sides.
- That is, that by doing more and more of the same, that is by making our blunt instrument heavier and heavier, we are going to achieve something different.
- The third and final issue to be examined starts with the proposition that the military element of national power is a rather blunt instrument, not a precision tool.
Definition of blunt instrument in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan