(also bodhi tree /ˈbōdē/)
Definition of bo tree in English:
A fig tree native to India and Southeast Asia, regarded as sacred by Buddhists. Also called peepul, pipal.
- Ficus religiosa, family Moraceae
- Theravada Buddhism (one of two types of Buddhism) was introduced to Sri Lanka in the third century B.C. from India, when a branch of the sacred bo tree under which the Buddha attained enlightenment was brought to the island.
- First they offer fragrant flowers (lotus lily and frangipani) at the different Buddhas, then they offer tiny clay lamps burning with coconut oil and finally they chant their thanksgiving quietly under the bo tree.
- Sometimes police sentries have been placed to protect bo trees from popular vandalism.
Definition of bo tree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan