Definition of body louse in English:
A louse of a variety that infests the human body and is particularly prevalent where hygiene is poor. It can transmit several diseases through its bite, including typhus.
- Pediculus humanus humanus, family Pediculidae, order Anoplura. See also head louse
- There he again found efficient and cost-effective methods for controlling the human body louse, the insect that carried typhus fever.
- The human body louse, Pediculus humanus, has two ways of making a living - either dwelling on the scalp, feeding on blood, or snuggling into our clothes and come out once or twice a day to graze on our bodies.
- The first full-scale use of DDT in a military context was in early 1944 against the body louse during the Naples typhus epidemic where it was credited with bringing the epidemic under control.
Definition of body louse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan