Definition of boiling point in English:
1The temperature at which a liquid boils and turns to vapor.
- Cato Maximilian Guldberg had already predicted, on theoretical grounds, that the freezing points, boiling points, and vapour pressures of solutions should all change at the same rate with increasing concentration.
- Evaporation is the change from liquid to vapor phase at a temperature below the boiling point of the liquid.
- The flask is then heated to a temperature above the boiling point of the liquid.
1.1The point at which anger or excitement breaks out into violent expression: emotions had reached boiling point and could spill over into violence racial tension surges to boiling point
More example sentences
- Deliberately leading a herd to a neighbor's land was outrageous, and talking about it brought his anger to the boiling point.
- His anger was reaching the boiling point, his new-found control quickly vanishing.
- I was about to see Acorn Antiques the musical and had gone with my friend Mouse who is the only person I know whose excitement levels can reach boiling point.
Definition of boiling point in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan